Saturday, August 25, 2012

Apple iMac Custom Light Box

In Pennsylvania, public education has lost a tremendous amount of funding in recent years.  My art budget has been diminished compared to the past.  Our new district motto is trying to do more, with less.

I recently priced light boxes to buy for my classroom which range from $200 to $400.  I decided to get crafty.  I bought an old, non-working iMac G4 "shell" off of eBay ($15).  I gutted the inside and cleaned it up.  Next, I purchased a small 12" florescent light ($10) and custom mounted it inside the computer shell.  The switch for the light was put in the back out of sight by drilling a hole and glueing it in place.  The iMac's cord was reused and attached to the florescent light inside the computer.

Now, my classroom has a pretty "trendy" light box to assist students with drawing projects this year.  Check out my pictures below.  Questions on how to make your own, email me at ebaumcratz@nccsd.org.



No comments:

Post a Comment