Saturday, August 25, 2012

QR Codes in the Art Room


We have all seen QR Codes (Quick Response Codes).  This is something I'm applying to my class this year.  These matrix barcodes can be scanned with any "Smart Phone."  The phone reads the code and takes the user to the assigned web site.

QR Codes can be generated free.  Goto http://qrcode.kaywa.com to customize your own matrix barcodes.  Print them out, add to your web site, or email the codes.  You'll need a QR Code reader app on your "Smart Phone," which can be downloaded free of charge.

How have I utilized QR Codes in my art classroom?  Below I made two different bar codes and displayed it next to a poster by Andy Warhol.  If a student scans the first code, it will take them directly to a web site containing a biography on Andy Warhol.  The next code is an article from ABC News about a recent selling of an Elvis print by Warhol going for millions of dollars.


I posted a QR Code on my door.  I do not plan of telling the students what it is for.  I want to see how long it takes them to figure it out and where it takes them.  I'll fill you in though.  The code will take the scanner to my school web site.  Here students can view class syllabus, view pictures and other links, or check project assignment dates.



I want to allow students to benefit from technology, while being capable of staying on task.  This feature would be better suited for a mature high school art class, rather than the junior high level.  I will keep you posted on my venture!

No comments:

Post a Comment